Dating a soldier is certainly not the easiest type of relationship to enter. Therefore, before taking this step, there are certain tips for dating a soldier that you will need to know.
First of all, it is important to note that those serving in the military lead lives that are quite different than civilians. While many civilians work an average of 40 hours a week, a soldier is on call 24/7 because his job is to ensure that his country and the liberties we hold dear are protected. (We’re saying ‘he’ for the soldier in this article, but of course the soldier could be a woman.)
In order to serve his country correctly, the soldier must keep some information secret and cannot share everything with you. To do so would be to jeopardize the security of the country; a punishable offense. If you are bad at keeping secrets or do not trust easily, then dating a soldier may not be the best option for you.
People who are in the service are required to be gone for extended periods of time and long distance relationships are not always the easiest to maintain. They are often the cause of separation anxiety, loneliness, and loss of trust. However, you must remember that he has no say in the matter and therefore it is unwise to be critical of time not spent with you. Instead, write your soldier letters that will be sure to keep him encouraged and help boost his morale.
It is wise to take an optimistic approach when communicating with your loved one. Always be sure to let your soldier know that he is loved and that you care. Bringing a smile to his face with your letters and phone calls will help reassure him when he is stationed in other countries and is missing home.
If you are struggling with your soldier being gone, here are some tips to help you cope with limited contact with your loved one:
1. You can help ease feelings of loneliness by forming a support network that consists of your family and friends. Keeping your social life active and having someone to talk will be essential during times when your partner is absent.
2. Form friendships with the significant others of people in the military. They will be able to understand your difficulties much more easily than someone who has never dated someone in the military. Because many of them are already used to the military routine, the spouses of soldiers will often hold get togethers to support each other during these trying times.
3. Be sure to send your soldier packages to show that you care. He will appreciate these gifts and they will help keep you on his mind. Have fun with these packages by sending pictures, magazines, handwritten letters, and baked goods; just to give a few examples. Because these packages aren’t necessarily private, make sure you don’t send anything that is too personal or that might embarrass him if the other guys were to learn of it.
4. If you want this relationship to work, you must trust that your partner will be faithful to you when he is away. Soldiers are usually kept quite busy while overseas so don’t make yourself crazy thinking about scenarios where he may cheat.
5. You may not have many opportunities to communicate so take full advantage of all chances to talk on the phone or video message your soldier. Always keep your phone on hand so as not to miss any of these opportunities to hear your loved one’s voice.
It is not always easy to have a relationship with someone in the military. In truth, it is not for everyone. However, if your soldier is worth the effort and sacrifice then it is imperative that you follow the above tips for dating a soldier.